Monday, December 16, 2013

Day 350 Intention ~ Accept the Ups & Downs

Day 350 Intention ~ Accept the Ups & Downs
 
 
Perhaps it's the holiday blues (or stress surrounding the holidays) or too much holiday cheer being injested, but this time of year tends to catch me in a rollercoaster of emotions. One minute, I love the ambiance created by the fire, Christmas lights and snow outside, the next moment, I am distraught over the money needed not only to pay my bills, but to buy gifts for all of my loved ones without breaking the bank.
 
 
Ups and downs. This time of year also creates reflection. It's normal and natural. I start questioning my choices wondering if I will ever stack up to the vision I have of how I am supposed to be at this age. I also wonder if I will ever be satisfied with that in years to come. So it goes. It's almost like a holiday ritual.
 
 
In reality, we need these up and downs to appreciate the good times. We move in cycles. Our being is made up of three doshas according to Ayurveda: vata, pitta & kapha. Very basically, when we have too much vata we tend to feel "windy", flighty, and hard to focus...ungrounded. Pitta is unbalanced when we feel firey...angry, hot headed, etc. And an unbalanced kapha creates laziness, sluggishness and even weight gain.
 
When balanced, these doshas are wonderful. They help us be creative and motivated, we find our way to be great leaders with a calm, serene spirit. We need each of these to balance the others out. When we feel ungrounded, we need the kapha influence to bring us back to Earth a bit, to slow us down. When we feel lazy, we need that vata wind to motivate us.
 
But, there are the cycles. They aren't always the same and there is no set time frame for how long you may be feeling more lazy or windy. Once you notice it, if you start to take steps to balance, it should even out more quickly. This cycle right now for me is definitely more of a kapha laziness, depressed cycle and now that I realize it, I accept it, but am searching for what will bring me out of it. Not sure what just yet, but hopefully this cycle is short lived.
 
 
Although, it could be considered a bit depressing, knowing that it is normal actually helps.
 
 
Til tomorrow...
 
Shanti,
 
Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment