Monday, August 26, 2013

Day 238 Intention ~ Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

Day 238 Intention ~ Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

Of course not! We learn this as children, but sometimes we forget. Today was one of those days. I had a student this morning that I had never met before who just looked like she didn't want to be there today. As we went through just a few gentle poses, she blurted out snarky comments like, "What is this supposed to be stretching? I don't feel anything." And just glaring at me for the rest of the asana part of class. 

I thought to myself that she will probably never come again. As we went through a 25 minute yoga nidra, I still wondered if she thought that I was trying to hypnotize her or if she was questioning me and my teaching or just plain counting the seconds til she could get up and leave. 

Much to my surprise, after class she came up to me and said that normally she can't relax during such practices like meditation, breathing or in savasana (corpse pose), but that she really turned off and was able to just focus on what I was saying during yoga nidra. She felt relaxed. She was smiling. My work was done. 

I often tell newer teachers to just remember that people make funny faces doing yoga and to not worry that it's your teaching. Nice to get a reminder for myself today! 

Til tomorrow...

Shanti, 

Marcia











No comments:

Post a Comment