Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 134 Intention ~ Stay in Savasana


Day 134 Intention ~ Stay in Savasana

There's always those people in class, you know the ones, they bolt as soon as the class goes into savasana, also known as corpse pose. I would think to myself, "They're missing the best part!" and go on to my own corpse pose. 
I was taught in teacher training, or at least in the Jivamukti portion, to keep students in savasana for at least 10 minutes. I thought that was fantastic. 

When I first started teaching, especially if I was teaching a 90 minute class, I would always give my students a 90 minute savasana. If they were the darting open eye type, I would be sure to place eye pillows over their eyes to help them draw inward. 

These days, I find my savasana's getting shorter and shorter. Not only in the classes I teach, but in my own personal practice. I am finding that I don't want to run over time in my classes and make my students late for whatever is next on their schedule for the day. For my own practice, I find myself getting restless. Today, I tried to lay there for 10 minutes and could only make it for four. Four minutes!! That is crazy. 

Savasana is so important to help relax the body and allow it to rest after the asana practice. It allows us to go inward and find stillness. This allows us to easily float into meditation. It also allows us to have a "rebirth" after each practice into the new person we are that day, physically, spiritually, mentally & emotionally. Savasana is not to be skipped and preferably not shortened. 

Til tomorrow...

Shanti, 

Marcia











No comments:

Post a Comment