Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 2 Intention ~ To Practice What I Preach



January 2, 2013. 

Today's intention is to practice what I preach (on and off the mat). 

Often in class, I find myself repeating certain things time and time again to my students:

  • "Your practice is different each time, so do not judge yourself." 
  • "Everyone's practice is their own and each of us are at a different place, so do not compare yourself to the person next to you."
  • "Be present." 
  • "Keep a calm, steady breath."
All of these can help us not only in our physical yoga practice, but also in how we deal with situations in our life off the mat. Most yogis who have a consistent practice will confirm that their reactions to different, especially trying, situations, has taken a calmer, more thoughtful approach since starting their regular yoga practice. I can attest to that too. 

Although I know all of this, it can still happen. Even though I may be sore from an intense practice the day before, I wish my shoulders weren't so tight while doing down dog, or I watch in amazement while someone in class floats effortlessly around their mat, when I feel like I am grunting and groaning through class. And there goes that presence and breath. While thinking about that person next to me, I've lost my focus on my practice hence losing my breath at the same time. 

So, for today, I intend to keep my practice steady, focused, non-judgmental, calm and my own...whatever it may be today. When I allow this for myself, it makes me more confident, calm and in general, much nicer to those I come in contact with for the rest of the day. 

Til tomorrow!

Shanti, 

Marcia



No comments:

Post a Comment